Thursday, June 11, 2015

Day +8

I have been in this hospital for 15 days. 15. That does not seem remotely possible, but there you have it. Which means I am about a third of the way done or over halfway done, depending on who you talk to. There is a large amount of disparity amongst the nurses and the doctors as to the total hospital time that haplo transplants typically take. Upon starting this procedure, doctors told us that it takes patients an average of 21 total days in the hospital, with the longest stay so far (at this hospital) being 28 days total. Nurses disagree, and tell me that it is 21 days post-transplant and 28 days post-transplant. This is aggravating to me because we hammered out these details with the doctors. And it would be simple enough to just ask one of the stooges milling about the hospital, but I honestly dread the answer. And really, it doesn't matter. The number of days I will be here depends entirely on my blood counts and nothing else. I just like a goal to strive for (ok, some patient who set a record getting out that I can beat. I like competition).

Hopefully, my blood counts are done with their downward decline. They stayed pretty much the same from yesterday to today, and I finally gave in and got a transfusion today, which automatically boosts your counts a couple of points. I couldn't stand up without feeling like I was falling forward this morning and decided that it was time, and I felt much, much better afterwards. My new night nurse complimented me on being in touch with my body and what I needed, and I felt huge waves of affection for her (her name is Frania, isn't that beautiful?). She is the first medical person who has talked to me like I might have a clue about this vessel I inhabit on a daily basis. I swear all doctors think patients are stupid and liars. We couldn't possibly make intelligent decisions about our bodies, being laymen and all. My P.A. is particularly demeaning, and gets a lovely tone in his voice that suggests I probably don't have a working brain cell. I hate hospitals. And doctors. I always feel like it is me versus them. I know that's not a healthy way to go about healthcare, but I guess it's the nature of the beast after so many years. I also believe in a  lot of natural remedies that most physicians find laughable, but I'm still here (and not supposed to be), and I've used a lot more natural medicine than most, so take that as you will. Anyway, I inherently distrust them, and feel that they reciprocate. I am so ready to be out from under the microscope every day.

Anyway. I got to spend the day with my hubby, which was wonderful. I have missed him so much. I mean, I've seen him, but I haven't got to spend any time with just him. We played games, talked, and watched shows together. A spouse is truly an amazing thing. A best friend and a lover wrapped into one package. The comfort that I am able to derive just from spending a few hours with him is something that I cherish. What I don't cherish is that tomorrow is my last day with Jen. I can't believe she is already heading back to New York. I feel like I hardly got to spend any time with her being stuck in here, but I don't know what we would have done without her help with Rorie. She is planning on spending the day here and I am planning on soaking up every minute. Thinking about her boarding a plane and heading back across the country breaks me a little bit, but that is still 24 hours away for now.

I also got mail today! My Aunt Becky sent me an amazing book filled with quotes by equally amazing people. I am devouring it, and will likely share many of its contents here. My dad also got me a little remote controlled helicopter to fly around my room. I didn't have a screw driver to put batteries in today, but that will be something to keep me entertained for awhile (or to keep Rorie and Colten entertained, more like). All-in-all, just another blessed day with family, waiting. Waiting, waiting. I hope something exciting happens soon, or this blog could get really boring to read. But, since my new book was not boring at all to read, I thought I would share my favorite quote I read today by Helen Keller, "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." I hope to accomplish much more than sitting in a hospital writing a blog, too, but for now, I think it is quite noble.


No comments:

Post a Comment